About Toxic Shock Syndrome
Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is a rare and serious, potentially life threatening illness that can affect men, women and children of any age. It is estimated that about half of TSS cases are related to menstruation, and the research on TSS has not reached any precise conclusions on the link between TSS and tampons use.
Some studies have suggested that there is a link with absorbency of tampons and it is therefore important that women choose the tampons with the lowest absorbency to suit their menstrual flow.
With early diagnosis, toxic shock syndrome can be successfully treated. Sadly, however, out of the small number of people who fall ill each year, 2-3 people die from TSS. It is important to remember that if TSS is diagnosed and treated early, there is a good chance of recovery.
Symptoms of TSS can include a sudden high fever, vomiting, diarrhoea, dizziness and/or a sunburn-like rash.
In case you or anyone you know experience any symptoms of TSS, please seek medical attention immediately. If you are wearing a tampon, remove it immediately and inform your doctor that you are menstruating.
You can find more detailed information about TSS on the websites below:
For more information about tampons, pads, napkins and other menstrual products, visit our page on absorbent hygiene products.